new products coming soon
Home Blog Growing With Landscape Fabric
February 17th 2016

Growing With Landscape Fabric

Floret_Landscape Fabric-16The first year I grew flowers, my cutting garden was a delightful jungle of flowers and waist high weeds. While I loved the process of selecting varieties, planting, tending and picking I hadn’t anticipated just how much energy would be used battling weeds to ensure a healthy and abundant harvest. The following spring, determined to have a more successful experience, I borrowed a thousand dollars from my Mom and ordered enough landscape fabric to cover my barely half acre plot.

Floret_Landscape Fabric-15While it was a huge investment, it was the only way I could see being able to manage the weeds, wrangle our two small children and grow my budding little business. That spring, Chris burned close to 15,000 holes in landscape fabric and I finally had a thriving and relatively weed free garden.

A lot has changed since then, both the kids and the garden have grown rapidly, but that initial batch of landscape fabric is still in use and has been added to each season.

Floret_Landscape Fabric-6While weed suppression is our main reason for using landscape fabric, there are a few additional benefits worth noting. Unlike plastic, landscape fabric is reusable. The majority of our stock is in its eighth season and shows little to no wear. I recently inherited a batch from a former flower farmer that dates back to the early 90’s and is still in pretty good shape considering its age. I am hopeful that ours will last for 20+ years.

Floret_Landscape Fabric-19Things like Zinnias, Celosia and Basil which like warmer soil and added heat thrive when planted into the fabric. And moisture retention seems to be greatly increased with the use of fabric. Another great bonus is that fabric makes for a tidy, clean looking garden. Proper plant spacing is a snap when the holes are already preset.

Floret_Landscape Fabric-23Lastly, weed pressure is greatly decreased. We generally only have to do two early rounds of weeding on the fabric beds before they can coast for the rest of the season untended. Compared to the typical four or five rounds of weeding needed on our open field crops, the cost of the fabric quickly pays for itself in saved labor.

Floret_Landscape Fabric-18Sunbelt is the brand of landscape fabric we always buy, but if you can’t find it locally, Johnny’s Selected Seeds carries some too. It is shiny on both sides (avoid the type with a fuzzy bottom), is super durable and comes in a number of different lengths and widths. We prefer the 6 foot wide x 300 foot long rolls which allows four feet for the growing bed and if overlapped with another swath of fabric, an 18” wide path in between the beds, which is just enough room to get down for planting, weeding and harvesting.

In the spring we get some pretty crazy winds whipping through the valley so to help anchor the newly laid fabric we have to set down cinderblocks and other heavy farm scraps down the paths. It looks pretty junky (pictured above) but sure does do the trick.

Floret_Landscape Fabric-8It’s important that when making holes, that the fabric is burned, not cut, to prevent unraveling. To burn the holes you need a small propane canister with a trigger switch called a Bernzomatic. These can be found at most hardware stores or on Amazon. For perfect spacing and increased efficiency, a burning template should be created beforehand.

Floret_Landscape Fabric-7The first season, I was in such a rush to get started, that I made my templates out of cardboard, tin foil and duct tape. As cheesy as they were, they certainly got the job done much better than just eyeballing the spacing.

We have since graduated to a metal template that Chris made using a standard 4×2 foot piece of sheet metal that he picked up at the hardware store.

Floret_Landscape Fabric-24To make your own metal template, start by marking out the desired plant spacing grid with a sharpie onto the metal.

Then using a 2.5” hole drill attached to a basic drill gun (these can be found in the drill bit section of the hardware store) cut the holes in your piece of sheet metal.

Floret_Landscape Fabric-27Floret_Landscape Fabric-26 Floret_Landscape Fabric-28

Floret_Landscape Fabric-31You’ll want to slip a piece of plywood under the metal before you drill, to give the drill bit something to go into.

Floret_Landscape Fabric-32
Because the sheet metal has a tendency to be floppy, we zip tie a bamboo stake across the top edge to provide extra rigidity. Additionally, we add a wire handle, so that the template can be easily pulled along as you burn the holes in the fabric.

Floret_Landscape Fabric-33

Floret_Landscape Fabric-34In past years we’ve burned the fabric outdoors because the fumes are pretty toxic but when wind free days are scarce in the spring, we sometimes have to move the project inside. Our garage has a large concrete floor and plenty of big doors that can be rolled open for good ventilation. With music going and someone to help move the template, we are able to burn a 300 foot roll of fabric in about an hour and a half.

Floret_Landscape Fabric-22There are five main spacing grids that we like to use here on the farm:

6×6” spacing = 7 rows per bed

9×9” spacing = 5 rows per bed

12×12” spacing = 4 rows per bed

18x 18” spacing = 3 rows per bed

For vines:

8” between plants and 12” between rows = 2 rows per bed, one on each side of the trellis

Floret_Bed Prep-7

Floret_Landscape Fabric-1 Before laying the fabric, beds are amended with compost and fertilizer, then lightly tilled and given four lines of drip irrigation each. You can get the full scoop in my recent post about soil preparation.

Fabric is then rolled out over the beds and irrigation lines, and is anchored into the soil with 6″ metal earth staples which are available from Johnny’s Selected Seeds.

Floret_Landscape Fabric-5 Floret_Landscape Fabric-4Seedlings are then tucked into the holes with our favorite planting tool, a butter knife. Nothing does the job better! The babies are then given a light overhead watering, a long drip irrigation soaking and then are left to do their thing. We come through a few times with compost tea and then as the plants grow add a layer or two of Hortonova flower netting for support.

After the crop has been harvested, we remove the netting, mow the remaining foliage down with either our brush hog set a foot above the ground, or with a weedwhacker. We then chain the ends of the fabric to our tractor bucket and pull it up. But before we had a tractor, it was all done by hand.

Floret_Landscape Fabric-13While using landscape fabric is certainly more labor intensive than straight field planting on the front and back end of the season, we’ve found that the added weed suppression, heat, and perfect plants spacing far outweigh the drawbacks.

If you know someone who wants a million dollar business idea, tell them they should invent a way to mechanically pre-burn holes into landscape fabric. I’ve heard that it’s available in other countries but have had ZERO luck finding it here in the states, at least in really large quantities. If you know a source, please pass it on.

1. K Scott on

Have you ever had the need to clean the fabric due to pests or other problems? Any recommendations on doing so?

2. 5 Flowers to Sow and Grow Now – My Blog on

[…] and all chance of frost has passed, we transplant the flowers into our field beds that have heavy landscape fabric weed barrier  and irrigation (underneath the fabric) in […]

3. Carol Whitman on

I’m interested in a cutting garden for household use, and will adapt a lot of this information! Thank you. We have isolated spots that get good sun in the summer, some of them invaded with comfrey. I’m hoping that by digging up the roots as much as possible (always miss little pieces, right?), and then using landscape cloth, I’ll suppress the stuff. Right now I’ve got old carpet and random pieces of plywood over them. Not lovely, and will see how effective it is.

Just ordered your book through our local indie bookstore. Should be here next week. Yum.

4. Michael Klug on

Farmer’s Friend, LLC, has started selling ground cover with mechanically preburned holes. Right now they are only offering two patterns but they are prototyping a machine that can be programmed to make any pattern.

Best,
    Michael Klug
    notillveggarden.com

5. Tina G on

Tracy, What a great idea to double up thee fabric when burning the holes! Thank you for sharing!
    Regards, Tina

6. Jessica Zeiger on

Looks like Farmer’s Friend is going to be offering precut landscape fabric very soon!

7. Anna McCall on

Flowers and faces

Thank you so much for valuable information. I have a small business and I do grow a large amount of cut flowers. Your book has made such a difference in how I garden. Sincerely Anna McCall

8. Ashley Howard on

Floret, do you use the landscape fabric for your Dahlias?

9. Mimi Kezer on

Outstanding information. Thank you so much for sharing your wealth of knowledge!

10. Mike - Bluebell Cottage Farm on

I just want to say that I appreciate this blog entry, with all the clear pics and descriptions. I’ve amended the soil, rototilled it, got the sheet metal templates and cut it, got the landscape fabric for burning the holes and have seed on the go. This information has been invaluable and I look forward to purchasing the book soon.

11. Lisa Hammond on

Thank you so much for posting this article! A great read!

12. Lisa Hammond on

Thank you so much for posting this article. A great read!

13. Diana on

Thank you for posting this article! I was in the middle of laying down my landscape fabric when my staples and irrigation supplies arrived in the mail. I was trying to get as much done as I could because the temps were going to drop from 65 to 33 degrees by late evening. Typical Ohio weather nowadays! Anyway in the rush of having only a couple of hours left to work, I almost uncovered the beds to put the irrigation tape down, but then realized I hadn’t bought my weeding torch yet and needed to burn the holes first (and of course, not in the hose too). The tape would have to wait.
    The dreaded feeling of measuring all those hoses came to mind and the thought of how long that would take. So thank you! I jumped up and down when I saw your template and I also have a small torch! What a time saver!

14. Chris on

Love this post! How do you manually weed once the landscape fabric is down? Do the weeds poke through, or do you lift the material up and weed underneath it?
    Thanks so much! Chris Barnett

15. Tobey on

Be sure to get landscape fabric with finished edges. Somehow in my garden past I got some wother unfinished edges and I still find the unravelled strands when I dig! Grr!

16. Hayley on

Do you use 2.5″ holes for all grid spacing? Or larger holes for the larger grid spacing? Thanks!

17. Diane Young on

Jenna, it is seldom that I am in such admiration of someone who strikes out there to accomplish this type of goal, but girl, I’ve got to hand it to you, you and your team have did a fabulous job. I wish you the very best in all your blooming endeavors. It looks like a thriving business!!!! I LOVE gardening, and plan to try some of your suggestions.

18. Becky K on

Thank you for sharing! Looking forward to trying this with flowers and our vegetable garden.

19. Jenna Fuge on

Do you use something to kill the weeds as well such as a natural weed killer?

• Susan King on

Hi Jenna, thanks for your question. No other products are used to kill weeds, as the landscape fabric does most of the work for us. Going through and manually weeding one or two times early in the season is usually all that is needed, then the flowers are mature enough to shade out weeds. – Team Floret

20. Wayne Beal on

I believe I saw where you gave a list of which flower varieties get which spacing. Could you share this.

21. Amber on

Hi! I love reading through your posts. I live in a really cold climate and want to try this landscape fabric in hopes that it will warm up my soil a little. I’m wondering if it will still work if I don’t have a dripper system?

22. Natalie Jones on

How do you hold up the the flower netting? Simple bamboo stakes?

23. Clarisse Wilton on

Thank you for sharing all of your hard earned knowledge!!! I am just soaking it in and dreaming big dreams , got babies at home so it will have to be slow and simple for now. Just came across your blog and just love everything about it!?

24. Megan on

Hi Dave,
    Have you tired to use the same plastic a second year?

25. David on

We use Punch N Plant Weed block which is a newer? product I found online which has the holes pre-perforated in landscape fabric where you can choose which ones to punch out and use. It worked great for us this year. I contacted them and they can do larger rolls than the ones they sell in stores as well.

26. Clara on

Do you ever have problems with rodents chewing through your drip tape and struggling to fix it through the fabric? If so, any solutions? for either rodents under the fabric or having to fix drip tape holes.

27. Tracey Matchett on

Success!! We doubled our 28 metre lengths of Landscape Fabric ,and then used our homemade metal Template / Burner ,to burn Two Holes at a time. We then pulled apart and wham a single legnth ready to go down on Drip Tape. Thankyou Floret for All your help.

28. Melissa Brauneis on

Erin, with the length of your rows, you said I think 70 feet, how do you work the length of these at 300 feet. Do you cut the mats at the desired length to cover your 70 foot rows, I assume a bit extra at each end? I can’t see you not cutting them to fit you plots, but I thought I’d ask.

Thanks about showing how easy it can be to burn the pattern into the cover.

29. Trasa Roth on

Thank you for sharing this. Will definitely give it a try when we have our own farm. So helpful!

30. Julie on

Hi Erin, I just discovered you and floret Floret flowers. Thankyou for all of the inspiring advice you provide. I am an aspiring and budding farmer of flowers, but specifically peonies. My collection is growing and maturing. I know you mention them in your posts, pictures, and bouquets. If you’d be willing to share a little info on how you lay out you beds, landscape fabric, etc, I would love to hear.
    Thankyou for all the information you share!

31. Mia on

Great post! I second the questions about dahlias and gophers. Would love to be weed-free in my u pick!

32. Tammy on

Just burned our first holes today and they turned out great! Thanks for the detailed instructions.

33. Stacey Cross on

Husband just finished burning the weed fabric and it turned out beautifully. He made a template with plywood that worked fine. The landscape fabric burned without doing any damage to the plywood. Laying the drip lines and tagging down next week. Thank you so much for your amazing posts. We very nearly copied your ideas with the 9 ” spacing and it has turned out very nearly perfect. THANK YOU ERIN!!

34. Amber on

Really! this sounds like a miracle product even for my small home veggie and flower garden! I’m definitely trying it this year. Thanks for the resources to purchase and your recommended spacing. Very useful.

35. Janie on

Dear Erin,
    I am just starting out and feel so overwhelmed at times; however, your blog posts serve to calm the anxiety with step by step, very concrete actions to take. Thank you for the enormous amount of time you’ve put into this. I appreciate every word and photo!

36. Shyla on

Question – So how about if you are using the landscape fabric in your garden to plant pre-started plants in. Do you do the same procedure but dig a hole for the plant in the burnt opening?

37. Jana on

Dear Erin, I have two question, not concerning previous issues, but the february Blog Blizzard may end up soon, so I rather try it now :)
    I am interested, how does seed collecting work. How close can be cultivars of same flower to keep their characteristic and not to mingle together? I would like to keep seeds from this season crop for the next one…what should I do or avoid?
    Direct sowing – how does it actually works?How do you do it?When direct sowing, should I transplant the seedlings then to proper spacing or use only thinnig them up?
    Thank you very much for your sharing, it is so helpfull! Best regards from Czech republic

38. Jillian on

Hi Erin!

Thank you so much for sharing this flurry of information, what a gift to give the knowledge that was so difficult (and expensive) to attain yourself! I’m having a lot of trouble finding Sunbelt fabric out here in NH and hope that Johnny’s would be my answer, but they don’t carry it either! There’s a Dewitt brand called Pro 5 that they carry, but it doesn’t appear to be as smooth as that which you have pictured.

Help?!

• Sherry on

We were able to find the DeWitt Sunbelt 6’x300′ shipped direct from the manufacturer through the Northern Tool online store.

39. Lina on

Again with the awesomeness! Thank you very much for being so clear about what you do and what you’ve figured out. My husband has been a bit against any sort of plastic or landscape fabric on our beds – mostly because we don’t have a tractor to lay down tight plastic and throwing it away every year seems terrible. Doing it by hand and being able to re-use it is huge. And I might be able to convince him now that it involves fire… :)

40. Ali on

Awesome post! So excited, I’ve got 15 rolls of 6′ x 300′ Sunbelt delivering in two weeks! Can’t believe I ever farmed without.

41. Anja on

Here the fabric comes with a pattern that suites our spacing well, so we can burn without any template. And the thing we burn with are abour one meter long, so burning holes in the fabric is one of the few jobs we can do with our backs straight. It’s supereasy, almost like having a break :-)
    Thank you Erin, for all that you share, you’re the best!

42. Annette Crawford on

Thank you, thank you, thank you Erin! This blog has answered all the remaining questions I had about buying and prepping the landscape fabric. My little urban flower farm will be planted on a much smaller scale starting this year with 12 3′ x 10′ beds but essentially the process is the same. In addition I have several other established beds where I will be planting out the early birds; hardy annuals, anemone, ranunculus and sweet peas and of course my fall planting of spring bulbs. Your advice is golden and I am so looking forward to the growing season ahead!

43. Jillian on

Such HELPFUL information! Thank you for all the blog posts. I feel like I am drinking from a fire hose, & my “to do” list is growing. I’m thankful for your experienced & detailed advice, it will save me so much time!!! I’ve always wanted to buy a torch! There were a few questions about rodents. I’d like to know, too, what you do to deter them. I use traps, but I still don’t get them all. When I lived in the city (read 7000 sq. ft. lot) & had moles I made a garlic/castor oil/dish soap concoction. I put it in a Blendtec with water & made a nice liquid out of it. I then put it in a garden sprayer that attached to my hose & sprayed it on my lawn & flower beds. I didn’t want to use it on the vegetable garden that we would eat vegetables from. The solution coats the worms & grubs, & the moles don’t like the taste of them, so leave. It worked, & I may try this again; even though I have a bigger space. I would like to know if you use the cloth with dahlias, & also, if you use the fabric with perennials. I’ve been wanting to start a peony patch. I’ve been loving all your posts!

44. Donna on

Thank you, Erin, for all of this information. I will definitely invest in good-quality landscape fabric. I have used “fabric” in the past, but it always falls apart and is certainly not reusable. Last year, I totally lost the battle with the weeds. Not this year!!!

45. giulia on

Thanks Erin, very precious information as always!!!!
    I have a question, for wich flowers you DON’T use landscape fabric?

46. Alaina Noel on

Erin, thank you so much for sharing all of your hard earned wisdom! May I ask why not to use the fabric that is fuzzy on one side?
    Thanks so much ,
    Alaina Noel

47. Nina on

Hi! Thank you so much for sharing all your hard earned information! The pictures are great and really help me to get a real idea of what I want to do and form the picture in my head! Awesome! A random thought as I looked at all that fabric and how much land it covered; have you ever had any critters (ie. snakes) harass you from beneath the fabric? I know, far out, or maybe not, haha! thanks much again! Best!

48. Mara - The Farm at Oxford on

Awesome post Erin! I used fabric last year but this year I am going to use it even more and do some areas all fabric (dahlias), just picked up a 300′ roll and may get another. Our PA weeds are CRAZY.

Question–you said you use the tractor bucket to pull up the fabric at the end of the season, do you pull the staples out with it, do they come out attached to the fabric or do you have to go through by hand? Sometimes our staples don’t come out with the fabric which makes it a manual process. Any tips? Once it’s up do you just work together to fold it or how do you store?

49. Sybil H.Skinne on

I just want to thank you for your posts. You have answered many questions I have had over the years and I appreciate this greatly. My Dad was a farmer and as a small child I seeded and he always soaked the soil. I had worked on a flower farm in NY and they never did and I always wondered why not – I was delighted to see you suggest it because I always have thought seeds should be moist to germinate – thanks, Sybil

50. Stephanie on

Awesome! Thank you for sharing!

51. Abby on

THANK YOU!!!

52. Sherry on

Thank you so much!!! I just emailed the link to this article to my husband. Now we can begin in earnest to start preparing to plant at the end of March. I like others went looking for this info and couldn’t find it, but I didn’t panic because I knew this would be included in the February blizzard. The added info is incredibly helpful. I went to the county Ag center yesterday and got boxes for soil testing. It’s only $4.00 a sample during there busy months (December-March) of course. But free during the rest of the year. I’m starting late but should get results back within two weeks. Just need to let the ground dry a little from all the rain lately. Getting very excited, love the anticipation of new beginnings!!!

53. Meredith on

This was super helpful, I’ve started gathering my supplies and I’ll be giving this a shot in my backyard gardens this year. Erin, thank you so much for these posts, they are so generous! I would also love to hear more about what you recommend for drip irrigation. Your insight is wonderful!

54. Kathy on

Wow! Thank you soooooo much. Looking into this now. We are always so innundated with weeds here in Georgia. Really looking forward to this information about the “tea”. As always, I am so thankful for all the details you so freely shower upon us. Thank you doesn’t seem to cover how I really feel, but it’s all I have.

55. Jessica on

Thank you so much for sharing all of this. Your blog posts have been SUCH a help..<3

56. Prince snow farm on

I will need this probably next year. After you said you couldn’t find one with holes, I started searching. I did Find something called a garden mat with premade holes. They also sell commercial sized rolls. I’m going to look into it! http://gardenmats.com. Thanks again for sharing all of this info! I included a list of the seeds I’m buying from you in my latest blog post!!

57. Tania Cubberly on

Erin!
    Awesome thank you for this. Could you tell us also is this a 3.2 oz fabric or 4.1 oz. ? Thanks!!

58. Audrey on

This is super helpful! I’d love, love, love to see a post on disease and pest control.

59. Helen on

Fantastic! Love the sheet metal template. I’ve seen others use a flame weeder, which is probably what I’ll do this year – you just set it right down onto the fabric and it cuts through. Some folks do the burning right on top of the soil with the fabric already pinned down. FYI, I bought some of the Pro-5 fabric from Johnny’s and had to return it because it was the fuzzy kind! It cost a lot to return, so call and make sure before you buy. Thanks Erin & team!

60. Kathy on

Thank you so much for all the details. That’s exactly what I’ve been needing!

61. Stacey C. on

Thank you Erin. Loving this blog blizzard!! Showed the template to burn the fabric to the hubby and he is on it!! Happen to have the fabric just needed the extra insight. Thank you so much.

62. Ali on

Thanks so much for this amazing post Erin! Two questions, what are the lines drawn on the fabric for, and do your irrigation lines go in-between the burned holes in the fabric? Looking forward to trying out this method this year! You are seriously getting me pummped for the spring!

63. Chas B. on

I really liked this post. Any help keeping weeds in check is so helpful. I especially liked the template making directions to burn holes in fabric. As always thank you for the lovely post, this one will make life easier this year!!! ???

64. Susan on

Sure wish I had known about burning the holes when I was growing Lavender. Not only did we cut ours, which caused it to fray, I purchased 6 foot wide rolls (all I could find at the time) and cut it in to 2 foot widths so the edges were frayed as well. We have a terrible time with moles and they wreaked havoc on the landscape fabric and the worst part is that the birds picked up the frayed threads and used them for their nests. We have found tiny babies dead in their nests because they were caught in the threads and have rescued a couple on the ground who couldn’t fly as their legs were wrapped by the plastic threads. Needless to say all of the landscape fabric is rolled up and inside our barn where the birds can’t have access to it. By all means spend the money to buy the “hole burner” (It works for weeds too when used on gravel or hardscape). Although that being said about using it for burning weeds, someone in England set his neighbors yard and gardens on fire using the “burning” method for killing weeds. Oops!

65. Anneke Huyzers on

Wow! Thank so much for sharing. I really appreciate your valuable information. I am based in South Africa and used these sheets with great success during spring and early summer. I find that when it gets too hot ( we had an extremely hot summer 38 – 41degreesC) it attracts too much heat – even under shade cloth. I used your idea for hoop houses and covered it with 40% shade cloth for the extreme summer periods. So far so good. Will keep you posted. Keep up the good work. I love being part of this flower community!

66. Elisabeth Ontario on

Another great post! I’m glad you included pictures of the grid. I’m doing this for my garden this year and I don’t think my husband quite understood how I explained it to him, so it’s easy peasy for me to show him this blog post. It’s funny how I explain things to him…. “Erin does this” and “Erin does that”. The people at my local garden supply store hadn’t heard of burning the holes either…..thanks!

• Heather on

Lol! I just did this with my husband 5 minutes ago. I talk of Erin as if she and I hang out each day.

67. Line i Alvehagen on

I really love these posts, Erin. So full of valuable information. Do you use fabric on your perennial plantings aswell? What about biennials? I’m a bit concerned about making hiding places for mice and voles… Are there any annuals you don’t plant in fabric? If so, for what reason? And a different thing; the low tunnels on the top pic, how do you stop them from blowing away? Just spent a late night pinning down fabric with blocks and pallets… Thanks for sharing, it is much appreciated!

Yay!! Another extremely timely post!! This information is invaluable and the best part to me is you including your brands that you use and where to get them!!! Thank you for your generosity and all the work and thought that goes into these posts. PLEASE keep them coming. Maybe one on watering? Especially on the drip irrigation, where you get your supplies, what you use, how often you turn it on, how long you leave it on, how you make your compost tea, how frequently your spray it.

• Heather on

I second this statement! :-)
      Thank you for all you share with us!
      Much love from East TN. Oxoo!

69. Jane on

Thank you again. Following your instructions from previous posts got me using lanscape fabric for most of my flowers last year, which was my first. Thank goodness. The sheet metal template with the wire pull will be this year’s addition, as well as more than 9×9 spacing. Hopefully I’ll get the whole thing (almost) covered. The information you give so freely to all of us is invaluable. I get so excited and happy reading it all. Thank you.

70. Julio on

I dont know how much time I spent over the last week trying to find your post on Landscape Fabric, so thank you SO MUCH for this updated version!
    Do you use fabric for dahlias, or are they big enough that the weeds are quite a competition?

Thanks Erin!

• Julio on

I meant ” Do you use fabric for dahlias, or are they big enough that the weeds AREN’T quite a competition?”

• Brittany G. on

I want to know the answer to this too!

71. Liesbeth roos on

Thank you , very interesting and inspiring!

I hav read “compost tea” a couple kf times now in your posts. Are you going to focus on that soon?

72. Hedda Brorstrom on

Do you have gophers? I am so hesitant to use this because it would be hard to trap. Perhaps I’ll invest in a small amount and use on plants I know they don’t love.

73. Ashley Rose on

Such a lovely article! I cannot wait to tackle this project, (on a smaller scale), hopefully this weekend! Thank you for your thoughtful post, detailed outline, and genuine love of flowers. Your blog is the sweetest gift!

74. Killoran on

I won’t be getting an this year – not enough space to justify the cost – but this is a great resource! And it reminded me I do need netting because wind.

75. marybeth on

As always such great info! Thanks so much for sharing your expertise, time, and energy. I’m relatively new to your blog so I can go back and read your previous posts as my nighttime reading….and drift off to sleep with dreams of all the beautiful blooms to appear on our little half acre farm. ???

76. James on

Sublime, just so simple and yet so easy to recreate.

I can see I have my work cut out for me in the next few weeks, goodness so much to learn and it feels that the clock is already ticking down!

Thanks for sharing….I know we were all waiting for this!

77. Jenny Rae on

I near panicked when I couldn’t find your blog post about burning landscape fabric a couple weeks ago! Thanks so much for putting it back up. I feel so daunted by it having never used it before but the idea of wedding again like last year is my worst nightmare. Time to take the plunge. Do you use the landscape fabric for dahlias? Thanks a bajillion for sharing!

78. linds6560880 on

Wow, thank you for this. Weeds are always the end to my spring time excitement. Are there some things you grow without this fabric because they do better for some reason?

Another question I am hoping you answer in this series (which I am loving) is how you handle perennials. Do you rip them out and treat them as annuals. And which ones are your favorite if we plan to keep them from season to season? Thank you!

79. Grace on

I have been looking at this product for the past few years wondering if it was really worth it I know the weed fabrics are a joke and I’ve tried plastic but it doesn’t last and it doesn’t allow water to go through so last year I tore it all up and I am going to invest the money into this stuff!! Thanks for reaffirming my research!!

Grace e

80. Erin @ Red Maple Flowers on

We use a plywood template and a weed burner with a 2″ nozzle for most of our planting holes. Any that we need bigger than that we use a blowtorch like you do, attached to a big-ol can of propane that we lug around. You’d think the plywood would get burned, but it doesn’t really. Thanks for your work and recommendation of landscape fabric. It’s saved us tons of work at the outset.