Floret Seeds Now Available
Shop Sweet Peas
Home Blog How to make a simple spring centerpiece with seasonal blooms
March 21st 2018

How to make a simple spring centerpiece with seasonal blooms

To celebrate the official start of spring, I thought I’d share a little step-by-step photo tutorial for creating a simple tablescape featuring daffodils, tulips and other spring blooms from the garden. For this particular project, I created one medium-sized bouquet for the center of the display and combined it with a collection of mixed apothecary bottles with blooms at varying heights on either side of it.

spring centerpiece tutorial

To make this simple spring display, I gathered up some pretty creamy yellow double tulips, three different varieties of daffodils, a few stems of fragrant lilacs, some buttery primroses, a couple of handfuls of cute grape hyacinths, and some wild garden greens.

Note: Daffodils emit a clear, slimy sap after being harvested. Prior to using fresh-picked daffodils in mixed bouquets with other flowers, it is best to “condition” the daffodils first. Simply place daffodils in a separate vase with cool, clean water to allow the sap to flow. The sap can negatively impact the vase life of other flowers, so allowing time for them to sit in water separately is essential. After a 2-3 hour rest, daffodils can be combined with other flowers, but don’t recut the stem ends as the sap will just start flowing again.

Start by adding greens around the neck of a small vase and then a few more stems in the center. Next, place a few stems of lilacs in amongst the greens, leaving room to thread in other flowers in between them.

On either side of the bouquet, nestle in some large double flowered tulips, clustering them together for the most visual impact. Lastly, place primroses and daffodils into any empty areas.

arranging small bottles of flowers

Finally, place a handful of petite grape hyacinths into short, wider-mouth vases. Add single stems of daffodils, cut to varying heights, into the narrow-necked apothecary bottles. Grouped together with the centerpiece, these cheerful blooms are sure to brighten up your brunch table or Easter celebration. Enjoy!

Photographs by Michèle M. Waite

1. Bloom2u on

Wow this is amazing and soul satisfying. Thanks for the beautiful craft, just loved it!

2. Marian Wiltshire on

Being Southern Hemisphere I envy the spring blooms of Easter. Will try and apply the concepts to our selection of dahlias, cosmos, and asters. Thank you for sharing Erin, Happy Easter to you, your family and everyone at Floret

3. Liz on

Thank you for brightening my day! Your flowers as so joyful and inspiring.
    Happy Easter to you and your family!

4. Camille on

Breath taking! I could never get enough at admiring such beautiful arrangements. I also like to pick whatever is in bloom and make arrangements for my table and to share arrangements with others! The daffodils are exquisite this year and I have thoroughly enjoyed looking at yours. Fresh cut flowers always beings a sweet smile. Thank you for sharing your talents with all.

5. Mary on

Very elegant!

6. Cheryl Parker on

Very lovely and appreciated that it’s something I could make. :-)

7. Nancy on

Thank you for sharing. You always inspire me to try your creations.

8. Sherey on

I love this simple and oh so pretty tablescape. Thank you for sharing!

9. Sherey on

I love this simple and oh so pretty tablescape. Thanks for sharing your expertise!

10. Annie's Flower Farm on

Thank you Erin! Can’t believe how rose-like those tulips look. You certainly are ahead of us by a couple of weeks; over here
    on the North Olympic Peninsula our lilacs are just getting leaf buds.

11. brenda devauld on

Beautiful! I will try it in a month or so ( probably longer, lots of snow this winter) when the spring bulbs here are hopefully blooming! Thanks for posting.

12. Maria Furth on

Thank you. It’s always a treat to wake up to your beautiful flowers!

13. Bobbi Lynn Miller on

Ahhh….. Such a lovely touch of Spring ! Thank you for the visual,step by step instruction. That is the best way I learn . Happy Easter to you!

14. Donna Boynton on

Absolutely inspiring for the beleagured here in New Brunswick, Canada! Snow everywhere!

15. sarah jo on

So beautiful. I struggle to know how to incorporate daffodils into arrangements. Thank you for this example!

16. Samantha Rothman on

This was just what I needed to see this morning! We still have over a foot of snow down on the tulip beds, but up in the sunnier places, I can see the tips of the daffodils coming up. Thank you for sharing such a sweet tablescape!